Pages

Saturday 29 August 2009

My Grandparents

After my Gran Maggie died in 2006 a stone was erected to the memory of my Papa George, my Gran (his second wife Margaret Dykes Batton) and to their little grandson who had only lived for 5 days.
William John was the second child of my Uncle John Robert Batton and his wife Isobel.
William was born on my 15th birthday, 17th June 1978 and he died 5 days later on 22nd June.
I can't believe it's so long ago. I used to go through to Darvel every weekend and stay at my Grans and babysit for John & Isobel's daughter Michelle. Michelle is now 33 with a 2 year old daughter of her own. (Mya).



I found the grave of George Batton's first wife and my Grandmother, Jeannie Batton ms King. Jean was only 33 when she died of TB in 1952. How sad leaving behind 3 sons and 2 daughters.
Frank, George, Andrew, Jean and my mother Margaret. My mum was only 12 when her mother died.

Frank Batton is buried alongside his mother Jean and I believe one of Frank's best friends erected this stone when he realised there was no stone marking the grave.
What a lovely gesture and very poignant is the message at the foot of the stone. Adios Amigo Till We Meet Again.



These graves above are all in Darvel Cemetery. The cemetery which sits at the top of the very steep hill as you drive into Darvel from Preistland.
As I parked the car to look for my Papa's grave stone I looked out of the window of the car and realised I had actually stopped at the grave of my great grandparents. I hadn't realised they were buried there.
Margaret C. Brown and Frank Thomas King are the parents of Jean Batton.
My Uncle Frank is obviously named after Jean's father.
Margaret Brown and Frank King married in Parish Church Manse Darvel on 19th July 1918.

All in all, I think I had a very eventful day, both in Galston and Darvel.
Oh, and I popped in to visit my Uncle George and Aunt Ellen Batton on my way through Darvel.

No comments: