Pages

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Mair family connections......if you'll pardon the pun!

I was recently entering lots of the information on FamilyTreeMaker software and happened to click to connect with my account on Ancestry.com for the first time.
As I was entering the information I was being given hints that the information was already entered on someone elses family tree.

Low and behold Brian Long's information kept popping up.......

It turns out there is another connection in the Batton family.

George Batton (my grandfather) and Helen Batton (married John Mair) were brother and sister.
Helen (Nellie as she was known) married John Mair in Galston in 1932.
Nellie and John moved to Canada and I know they had a son, George Mair. I have a photo of my Papa taken with George Mair and his 2 sons (John and Bob) outside their house in Canada in the late 1950's.
George Batton Snr (my great grandfather) and Elizabeth Batton were siblings. Elizabeth married Henry Connell and they had a daughter Lily Batton Connell. Lily married Alexander Young and they had a daughter Lilias Young. Lilias married Richard Newlands Mair. Richard is Brian Long's grandfather.

It turns out that John Mair and Richard Mair share the same parents - James Mair and Rebecca Newlands.

What a coincidence since Brian had recently contacted me with the connection between Ellen Batton and Andrew Batton - a further generation back.....

So my grandfather and Brian's grandfather were related through marriage.

And I found another set of connections between Brian's family and some of mine! Will add the information tonight. I need to leave to go to work!

No comments: