Pages

Thursday 19 August 2010

Exciting find... my grandfather George Batton

I was searching the National Archives online today and put in a search for the name Batton in the military section. Low and behold up came a list of names including George Batton, Sapper and the Royal Engineers 1943.
I downloaded the image and it contained the Military medal commendation made to my Grandfather during WW2.
Look at the signature on the document - B.L. Montgomery. This commendation was signed by General Montgomery. I don't know a lot about WW2 but I think my Papa might have been at El Alamein. Now that I have more information including his army service number and the action for which commended. I'm a very proud grand-daughter.

The London Gazette - 11th March 1943. This is the edition which included the notice of George Batton being awarded the military medal.
At the top of Column 2 you will see his name is the 3rd down. George Batton, Darvel Ayrshire.
The internet never fails to amaze me.
Enjoy!

No comments: